Saturday, September 18, 2010

School Resumes

Few people know that I love office supplies. Oh yes, it is my guilty pleasure. And back-to-school supply lists give me the freedom to indulge!

If you haven't seen the school supply lists of today, then perhaps you think it only includes a 3-ring binder and some pencils. Oh no. In fact, it gets parents truly wondering, what does the school provide anymore? Kleenex? Nope, that's on my list. Hand sanitizer and cleaning wipes? Nope that's up to us to provide too. Besides the obvious increased cost, those things simply take me away from my beloved school supply aisles. What enjoyable anticipation to those shopping trips, all by myself, armed with my lengthy list, thoroughly enjoying myself. Heavenly. Pens! Markers! Crayons! Joy! Okay. Enough about me.

So, yes, the boys have returned to school. Huey is in fifth grade this year. Our last full year before middle school. Frightening, isn't it? Dewey is in first grade. Finally in full day school, he now wishes he was only going half day again. Figures. And Louie just had his first full week of Pre-K. Full week really means 3 afternoons a week where mom actually has guaranteed child-free time. Wow. What a gift! I was able to enjoy a coffee date with a friend one day, running errands another, and for my third free afternoon this week, I enjoyed another guilty pleasure that many more people can relate to, I slumbered through an afternoon nap. Bliss, I tell you. Pure bliss. 

So, I will enjoy this year fully. Especially as we look ahead towards the middle school year, not thrilled about the public school, and wonder what alternatives God might have planned.  For now, I will simply enjoy the guaranteed silence three afternoons a week.

No comments: